Table of Contents
What is the difference between system software and application software?
There are two different terminologies of computer software’s. These are:
- system software
- Application software
Lets learn about what is the difference between system software and application software?
- A software that provide some interference between computer hardware and user is called System Software.
- A software that is used for high-level languages such as Java, C++ and VB for instance is called Application Software.
Made up of
- System software consists of variety of programs that perform series of functions in computer
- While application software consists of specific functions performed by operating system
- System software runs independently.
- Application software cannot run independently. There’s always a need of system software to run it.
- When the operation system is installed, system software is installed in the computer or any of the device.
- Application software only get installed when the user need it.
- A system software is basically serves as an interference between system hardware and application software.
- Each application software is used for specific purpose. It is basically designed to meet some specific needs of a user.
- When the system is turned on, system software starts to running automatically and stops when the system is shut down or closed.
- While in case of application software, it runs when the user requests it.
- System software is designed for a special purpose
- Application software is endowed to carry specific task
- System software manages the resources of system. It also serves a platform to run the application software in the computer.
- Application software perform many specific function for the user for which they are specifically designed.
- System software is easy to access. It has unlimited and continuous access to disk etc.
- Application software has limited access to disk and memory.
- System software is written using low-level languages
- Application software is written only using high-level languages.
- Window Operating System is the most common example of system software
- MS office, Photoshop and Corel Draw are the examples of application software.
|System Software||Application software|
|The type of software which acts as a messenger
Between the system and application software, is called system software.
|The type of software which have to install the user according to his need is called software application.|
|e.g: compiler, assembler, driver||e.g: media player , word processor , web browser|
|Usually, it is evolved in low level language and is supposed to be more suitable to coordinate with system hardware.||High level language is used in the development of application software. The purpose of using high level language is that the applications software are made for specific task.|
|It runs independently and also it serves platform to application software.||It can’t run independently. It can only run in the presence of system software.|
|When we install operating system in our computer then the system software gets install automatically.||It is not installed by itself in computer. The user have to install it according to his need.|
Also read here